Introduction to Murphy Bed Mattress
Murphy beds, also known as wall beds, are popular space-saving furniture pieces that fold vertically up against a wall when not in use. The key to getting the best night’s sleep with your Murphy bed is choosing the right mattress. You’ll want one that is both comfortable for sleeping and flexible enough to easily fold up into the closed bed frame.
Murphy Bed Mattress Size Dimensions To Consider
The first step in your Murphy bed mattress shopping journey is making sure you choose the correct size to fit your bed frame properly. Murphy beds are compatible with standard mattress sizes that you may already be familiar with:
- Twin/Single – Great for kids’ rooms or guest beds. Width 38″, Length 75″
- Full/Double – Roomier than twin but still on the cozier side. Width 53″, Length 75″
- Queen – Popular base model size for many. Width 60″, Length 80″
- King – Spacious option for couples. Width 76″, Length 80″
- California King – Longer than a standard king. Width 72″, Length 84″
You’ll also want to check the mattress size specs of your specific Murphy bed frame, which may have maximum thickness and flexibility requirements. Most can accommodate mattresses between 6 to 12 inches thick. Thinner mattresses around 6 inches are easiest to fold, while thicker ones around 8-12 inches provide more cushioning.
Make sure you measure accurately for a custom fit:
- Length – Head to toe
- Width – Side to side
- Thickness – Mattress height
Matching your mattress dimensions properly ensures:
- Comfort without spaces between frame and mattress *Mattress folds up flush with bed frame
- No obstruction when opening/closing the mechanism
So grab a tape measure and see what size your frame can hold before mattress shopping!
Mattress Types Compatible With Murphy Beds
Murphy beds can work with most major mattress types that provide good flexibility for folding, comfort for sleeping, and meet your bed’s size specs. Here are the most common kinds of mattresses used with Murphy beds and their pros and cons:
Memory foam and latex foam mattresses mold to the contours of your body, relieving pressure points for tailored comfort. Their flexibility also makes most foam mattresses easy to fold.
- Pressure relieving comfort
- Minimal motion transfer
- Flexibility for folding
- Durable with a lifespan of 5-12 years
- Can feel too hot for some sleepers
- Off-gassing odor when new
- Heavy to lift and install
Traditional coil mattresses use interconnected springs for bounce and support. Many have foam or fiberfill layers for added cushioning. Their spring system allows air circulation for a cool sleep.
- Bouncy, responsive support
- Breathability keeps cooler
- Usually affordable prices
- Easy to fold and lift
- Motion transfer disturbance
- Can develop squeaks and sagging over 5-7 years
The best of both worlds – hybrid mattresses combine foam and pocketed springs to isolate motion better than traditional innerspring. Provides comfort and support for Murphy bed use.
- Balanced comfort and support
- Above average durability
- Contouring and pressure relief
- Minimal motion transfer
- Expensive – $1,200+
- Heavy and bulky
Inflatable air mattresses are less common with Murphy beds but provide a lightweight folding option. However, most lack the support and durability for regular long-term use.
- Affordable prices
- Easy to inflate and store
- Very lightweight
- Lack durable support
- Susceptible to air leaks
- Temporary use only
So which mattress type is best for your murphy bed? Here’s a quick comparison chart summarizing the differences:
|Medium to Firm
Foam, spring, or hybrid models around 8-12 inches all make good Murphy bed mattress candidates that balance cushioning, support, and fold capability.
Mattress Firmness Level For Murphy Beds
Mattress firmness preference varies by sleep position and body type. In general, a medium firmness around 5-7 on the soft to firm scale of 1-10 works well for most Murphy bed sleepers.
Here’s how firmness impacts sleep based on position:
For Back Sleepers
- A soft mattress allows hips to sink, misaligning the spine
- Medium-firm gives even support to shoulders, waist, and hips
- The firm feels too hard without enough cushion for natural curves
For Side Sleepers
- Soft conforms close to shoulders and hips reducing pressure
- Medium balances contouring with even support
- Firm puts too much pressure on shoulders and hips
For Stomach Sleepers
- Soft causes arched back, straining neck and spine
- Medium-firm prevents excess sinking keeping back aligned
- Firm feels uncomfortable around ribcage and abdomen
No matter your preferred position, a medium firmness provides the best murphy bed support and comfort combination for most sleepers by conforming while keeping the spine neutral.
Firmness is also impacted by body frames and weights. For example, petite people often prefer softer mattresses that cradle curves more, while heavier people need a firmer mattress for adequate support.
If buying your mattress online, look for bed-in-a-box brands that allow easy at home returns like Nectar and Tuft and Needle to test firmness. For in-store purchases, spend at least 10-15 minutes assessing comfort level by lying in your favorite sleep position on display models.
Prioritize pressure relief and support when evaluating mattress firmness to enjoy restful nights in your murphy bed hideaway.
Mattress Thickness Considerations
Standard mattress thickness ranges from 6 to 14 inches tall. When it comes to selecting the ideal height for your murphy bed mattress, consider:
- Available Storage Space
- Folding Capability
- Cushioning Preference
Check that when folded vertically, the mattress thickness fits inside the depth of your:
- Bed cabinet
- Closet cavity
- Wall frame
Measure twice for accurate clearance.
The thicker the mattress, the more resistance when bending it to store. Most murphy beds do best with more flexible thinner mattresses 6-8 inches that easily fold into position. Brands like Zinus and Linenspa make memory foam options specifically for folding beds.
For a little more plushness, many accommodate 10-12 inch models as well. But testing the folding mechanism is advised.
Low profile 5-6 inch mattresses offer firm support. For plusher cushioning, consider taller 8-10 inch hybrids or foam beds that still store away conveniently.
You can also add a mattress topper 1-3 inches thick to any base mattress to customize softness and height within storage confines.
In summary, traditional 8 inch queen sizes balance cushion, support and foldability well for most murphy beds. But be sure to consider your storage depth and comfort preferences when deciding on thickness.
Murphy Bed Mattress Budgets
With any mattress purchase, setting a budget is important for narrowing selections.
Fortunately quality murphy bed mattresses come in a wide range of affordable prices for any budget:
The under $500 category has economy foam, innerspring and hybrid models in the 6 to 10 inch range that balance value, comfort and convenience. Great for spare rooms or kids beds.
- Zinus 6″ Firm Memory Foam Folding Mattress – $290 twin
- Olee Sleep 8″ Innerspring Mattress – $169 full
- Best Price Mattress 4″ Folding Mattress – $122 twin
Mid-range mattresses include upgraded memory foam for contouring and pocketed coil springs for better support and durability while folding. Prices range from $500-$1,000 for queen size.
- Tuft and Needle Mint Foam Mattress – $995 queen
- Nolah Evolution Hybrid Mattress – $999 queen
- Idle Sleep Hybrid Mattress – $876 queen
Higher end folding mattresses in the $1,200+ range prioritize luxury materials like latex foam or gel memory foam for a hotel suite feel. Many also come with better warranties and trial periods.
- Saatva Classic Innerspring – $1,299 queen
- Bear Hybrid – $1,390 queen
- Casper Nova Hybrid – $1,895 queen
Assessing your budget can narrow options and expectations around price, quality, and overall value. Balance affordability with the long term comfort, support, and durability a murphy bed mattress should deliver.
Here’s a summary of price ranges for different mattress types:
Where To Buy A New Murphy Bed Mattress
The great news is murphy bed mattresses are now widely available beyond niche specialty stores. Thanks to growing demand, you can shop major mattress brands online and in stores making the buying process much easier.
Here are some of the top options to purchase your new folding mattress:
Online Direct Mattress Brands
Bed-in-a-box ecommerce companies let you order mattresses easily online and even offer free shipping and returns in some cases. This allows you to test out models at home. Top options like:
- Tuft & Needle
- Nectar Sleep
Physical Mattress Stores
National and local mattress chains have knowledgable sales staff that allow you to evaluate comfort. Ask about flexible delivery options for fitting furniture into tight spaces. Brands like:
- Mattress Firm
- Sleep Number
- Big Fig
Murphy Bed Retailers
Stores specializing in murphy beds like Wayfair, Pottery Barn and Savvy Rest sell their own compatible mattress models suited for folding beds. This simplifies finding the right match.
Shopping early allows time for delivery and installation so your murphy bed and mattress will be all ready for that first perfect night’s sleep.
Caring For Your Murphy Bed Mattress
To keep your murphy bed mattress in great shape for years:
- Rotate head-to-toe every 2-3 months to prevent uneven impressions from regularly folding the same way.
- Use a washable mattress protector to prevent stains.
- Vacuum the mattress surface and crevices every 2-3 months using a soft brush to remove dust mites and other allergens.
- When storing upright, leave the mechanism slightly open for airflow and to avoid mildew if against an exterior wall.
- Spot clean spills right away using a mild upholstery cleaner and small amounts of water. Blot dry with a cloth rather than harsh scrubbing to avoid damage.
- Refer to the manufacturer’s care instructions for proper maintenance steps.
Continuing light care and maintenance keeps your murphy bed mattress fresh, clean and folding correctly for the duration of ownership.
Finding the ideal mattress ensures your murphy bed provides a great night’s sleep and folds up neatly into storage as designed day after day. Evaluate size, type, thickness and firmness based on your sleep preferences, body type, bed dimensions and folding requirements.
Focus your search by setting a budget for materials and features that meets your comfort and durability needs long term. With quality brands now available widely online and in stores, purchasing an affordable murphy bed mattress is easier than ever.