A soft twin mattress can provide a comfortable night’s sleep for kids, teens, and adults in guest rooms or small living spaces. But with so many options on the market, how do you know which one is right for you? This comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about shopping for the best soft twin mattress:
What Is a Twin Mattress?
First, let’s start with the basics. A twin mattress has the following standard dimensions:
- Width: 38 inches
- Length: 75 inches
Twin-size beds are one of the most common mattress sizes, typically used in:
- Kids bedrooms
- Guest rooms
- Small apartments or spaces with limited floor area
Twin mattresses work well for single sleepers since the size gives you ample room to sprawl out. Many online bed-in-a-box companies and mattress showrooms carry twin-size options.
Defining Soft Twin Mattress Firmness
When it comes to shopping for the softest twin mattress, it helps to understand mattress firmness ratings. Most companies use a scale of 1 to 10 to define mattress firmness levels, with 1 being the softest and 10 the firmest.
- Soft mattresses range from 1-5 on the firmness scale. They conform very closely to the body for contouring and pressure point relief.
- A medium soft mattress rates around 4, while extra soft mattresses rate 2-3 on the firmness scale.
For soft twin mattresses, you’ll want to look for options with ratings of 3-5 to experience that plush, marshmallow-like feel that lets your body sink in. This makes them ideal if you want to cushion pressure points.
Key Benefits of Soft Twin Mattresses
Why might you choose an extra plush or pillow-top twin mattress over a firmer model? Some key advantages include:
- Enhanced pressure point relief: By allowing your shoulders and hips to sink in more deeply, soft twin mattresses can help relieve tension in common discomfort zones for side sleepers.
- Improved comfort: Those who enjoy the feeling of being “hugged” by their mattress often prefer soft twins with thick comfort layers that mold to your body’s unique shape.
- Reduced lower back pain: For those who sleep predominantly on their side, softer surfaces allow for better spinal alignment and can alleviate chronic back pain in the lumbar region.
Disadvantages of Soft Twin Mattresses to Note
While soft mattresses have their perks, it’s also important to be aware of the potential drawbacks:
- Insufficient support: While side sleepers need cushioning at their shoulders and hips, too soft a surface can allow midsections to dip, straining your back. Firmer options tend to give better support.
- Prone to sagging: The tradeoff for a plush feel is quicker sagging over time. Materials like memory foam or latex foam with bounce-back provide more durability.
- Not ideal for all sleep positions: Stomach and back sleepers typically need more reinforcement for their body, making excessively soft mattresses less suitable.
What’s Inside a Soft Twin Mattress? Layer Construction Explained
A mattress isn’t simply soft or firm—a lot goes into engineering the right balance of cushioning and support. When seeking out the softest twin mattress, pay attention to these key layers:
Responsible for giving soft twin mattresses their plush, body-contouring qualities, the comfort layer goes above the support core. Common materials include:
- Memory foam: Known for its body-cradling hug and minimal motion transfer. Avoid cheaper mixes prone to heat retention.
- Latex foam: Derived from rubber trees, provides moderate contouring with cooling channels and slight bounce.
- Micro coils: Thin, fabric-encased coils allow for pressure point relief with airflow space between each.
- Polyfoam: The most affordable option made from polyurethane provides basic cushioning. Look for softer-density foam.
- Wool: A natural thermoregulator, wool adds softness and moisture-wicking abilities. Often blended into other foams.
Premium comfort materials like gel infusions or phase change minerals actively help dissipate body heat for those worried about sleeping hot.
In between your comfort and support layers, look for transition foam around 1 to 2 inches thick. This layer prevents you from sinking too far into the bed—balancing plushness from above with stability from below.
Though you want softness up top, the base needs to reinforce your bed’s structure so it lasts. Expect support cores made from:
- Pocketed coils: Individual fabric wrappings allow coils to respond independently for better contouring to twin sleepers.
- High-density polyfoam: Look for at least 1.8 pounds per cubic foot density so lower sections don’t grow unevenly over time.
- Reinforced edges: Many twins have stiffened rim edges through foam encasement or denser perimeter coils preventing premature sag when getting in and out of bed.
Key Features of the Best Soft Twin Mattresses
Beyond the right-layer construction, today’s high-tech twin mattresses include innovative features for improved performance. Here’s what to keep an eye out for:
- Cooling technologies: Gel infusions, cooling foams, and moisture-wicking covers help regulate body temperature so you don’t overheat on thick comfort layers.
- Zoned support: Firmer foams or coils targeting hip and shoulder zones ensure proper spinal alignment.
- Strong edge support: Perimeter reinforcements maximize the usable sleep surface without sagging.
- Eco-friendly materials: Natural latex, organic cotton covers, or recycled steel components satisfy green shoppers.
- Flippable designs: Some allow you to switch between a firm and plush side to accommodate changing preferences.
|Luxury Soft Twin
|Plush Soft (3.5)
|Gel memory foam, breathable cover, 25-year warranty
|Ultra Plush (2.5)
|Talalay latex comfort, organic cotton cover, white glove delivery
|Medium Soft (4)
|Phase change material, copper-infused foam, dual-sided firm and soft
|Pillowtop Soft (3)
|Individually wrapped coil system, cashmere blend cover, 120-night trial
|Extra Plush (2)
|Natural Dunlop latex layers, GOTS organic certified, 25-year warranty
In-Depth Reviews of the Top 5 Soft Twin Mattresses
If you’re feeling overwhelmed sorting through all the options for cushiony, ultra-plush twin mattresses, we’ve done the homework for you. Here are our picks for the 5 best soft twin beds in multiple budget ranges:
1. Luxury Soft Twin Mattress
With cooling gels and breathable covers, the Luxury Soft Twin gives you dreamy pressure relief without sleeping hot or spending a fortune.
This bed uses a four-layer construction…
- 1-inch cooling gel memory foam
- 2-inches polyfoam
- 6-inch pocketed coil unit
- 3-inches high-density support foam
Multiple perforations in the gel foam dispersion heat while contouring closely. The individually wrapped coils respond quietly to movement providing edge-to-edge support reinforced by dense base foam.
Covered by a soft Tencel cover infused with phase change minerals, the Luxury Soft regulates temperatures exceptionally well compared to cheaper all-foam competitors. Improved airflow also makes this a decent pick for kids who tend to sleep hot.
With free shipping and a 25-year warranty, given the balance of quality materials and value pricing, the Luxury Soft Twin is our top affordable pick for under $1000.
Firmness: Plush Soft (3.5 on 10 scales) Ideal for Side or combo sleepers under 150 pounds *Policies: 100-night trial, 25-year warranty
2. Heavenly Soft Latex Mattress
As its name promises, the Heavenly Soft offers sublime, cloud-like comfort perfect for petite to average-weight side sleepers.
Constructed in the USA from 3 layers of natural materials…
- 3-inches plush Talalay latex
- 6-inch pocketed innerspring system
- 1-inch wool batting base
Talalay and Dunlop refer to the manufacturing process for molding dense, durable latex harvested from rubber trees. Talalay tends to have a lighter, airier feel preferred by those wanting extra pressure relief.
The buoyant latex gently cradles joints while the pocketed coil unit provides even support, reinforced by moisture-wicking wool batting. With an exceptionally comfortable feel right at the average price point for a twin mattress, Heavenly Soft is a superb latex mattress value.
Firmness: Ultra Plush (2.5 on 10 scales) Ideal for Petite side & combo sleepers under 130 pounds
*Policies: 120-night trial period, 15 year warranty
3. CoolSoft TwinXL Two-Sided Flippable
With the unique ability to flip from plush soft to luxury firm feels, the CoolSoft TwinXL adapts as you change sleeping positions. Great for tweens or teens!
Flippable mattresses have become rare as hybrid coil and foam beds grow in popularity. But the CoolSoft uses an old-school spring design with modern updates for choice.
One side cradles smaller frames with 3 inches of copper-gel infused memory foam atop a thick coil system wrapped to bolster edges without compromising comfort. Flip it over for a firm side with dense polyfoam reinforcing pocketed innerspring for adults or larger young teens.
This versatility plus advanced cooling technologies make the CoolSoft TwinXL a standout. Note it comes in Twin XL, perfect for tall growing kids.
Dual Firmness: Medium Soft (4) OR Luxury Firm (8) Ideal for: Kids, tweens, and teens who flip-flop sleep positions *Policies: Lifetime warranty & defect exchange
4. Premium Soft Pillowtop Mattress
Indulge in hotel suite luxury with the Premium Soft! Four foam layers totaling 14 inches thick sit atop a zoned pocketed coil unit for dreamy plush comfort.
A euro top stitch runs the perimeter connecting the quilted cover to thick polyfoam and cooling latex like a fluffy pillow. More latex and gel memory foam pads the coil system with high-density base foam securing edges.
With a structured lumbar zone preventing sagging and beautifully tailored styling, the Premium Soft Pampers do not force you to compromise support or break the bank. Responsibly made in the USA.
Firmness: Pillowtop Soft (3 on 10 scales) Ideal for Petite to average weight side sleepers *Policies: 120-night trial & 10-year warranty
5. EcoCloud Organic Latex Twin Mattress
For those wanting an all-natural, non-toxic soft twin, the GOTS organic certified EcoCloud is the gold standard. Sustainably tapping rubber trees, the Dunlop latex offers cushioning pressure relief with minimal off-gassing.
Five dedicated comfort zones provide ergonomic reinforcement under the shoulders and lumbar while cradling hips and knees. Breathable layers encourage airflow to wick moisture. Choose from three firmness options to customize your support.
While the EcoCloud sits at a luxury price point, you’re investing in the highest quality organic materials with eco-friendly manufacturing. With a generous trial window and 25-year warranty, it’s built to last decades making it a sound long-term investment.
Firmness: Available in Soft (2), Medium (5), and Firm (7) Ideal for Eco-conscious shoppers wanting latex luxury
*Policies: 365 night trial & 25 year warranty
Buying Guide: Factors to Consider for Soft Twin Mattresses
Focus on these key criteria while shopping to find your perfect plush twin mattress match:
1. Preferred Firmness Level
Though you have an idea of wanting a softer twin, pinpointing the right amount of sink and conforming needs consideration. Side sleepers tend to prefer plusher options in the 2 to 4 firmness range for cradling shoulders and hips. But multiple factors impact feel including your body size, shape, and sleep style.
Browse firmness ratings knowing terms like pillowtop, eurotop, and plush describe the softest ends of the spectrum. And don’t neglect trying out mattresses firsthand if possible.
2. Quality of Materials
In your quest for cloud-like comfort, inspect what goes inside your mattress. Multiple comfort layers using premium foams, latex, micro coils, or similar signal better quality over basic polyurethane foam alone which compresses unevenly. Cooling gels, phase change minerals, and breathable covers help regulate temperatures in otherwise heat-trapping thick comfort layers.
The support core matters too. Reinforced edges, durable pocketed coils, or high-density foams provide stability so excessively soft beds don’t sag quickly.
Higher price tags often follow superior quality materials that enhance durability and performance.
3. Sleep Trial Periods & Return Policies
Buying online without testing twin mattresses first poses risks. Look for brands offering at least 100 nights of home trials to evaluate if the plushness suits your sleep style. Return policies covering shipping fees and mattress removal give you assurances if the bed doesn’t live up to promises.
A long warranty of at least 10 years demonstrates confidence in preventing materials from excessive sagging or defects. Be sure to review what exactly is covered and any fine print exclusions.
5. Third Party Certifications
Watch for certifications like CertiPUR-US® or OEKO-TEX® verifying foam durability, performance and safer materials tested for harmful substances. GOTS organic certification gives you confidence in premium natural materials like cotton, wool, and latex.
Alternatives to Soft Twin Mattresses
Seeking plush comfort but want to expand your options beyond traditional twin mattresses? Consider these alternatives:
Adjustable Mattress Bases
Also called adjustable beds, these electric bases let you elevate your head and feet to customize firmness and support. Added benefits include improved circulation, reduced acid reflux when sleeping propped upright, and high-tech massage settings.
The most budgeted way to add cushioning feels mattress toppers like memory foam, latex, or featherbeds layer onto your existing mattress. Look for at least 2 to 4 inches of thickness for ample padding. Easily swap between firmness levels when needed.
Other Sizes and Styles
While we’ve focused on standard twin dimensions, you can also find the same features and construction of soft mattresses available in sizes like:
- Twin XL
For small rooms needing to conserve floor space, many brands now offer low-profile soft mattress models using foldable foam or hybrid designs under 10 inches thick.
Caring for Your Soft Twin Mattress
Taking proper care of your plush new mattress ensures it stays fresh and extends its lifespan:
- Use a mattress protector to guard against spills, oils, and sweat leading to stains or damage.
- Rotate your mattress head to toe every 3 months to evenly distribute wear.
- Spot clean messes immediately with an enzymatic cleaner and small towel blotting. Harsh chemicals can break down foams.
- Let moisture fully air dry to avoid mold or mildew buildup inside.
- Vacuum upholstery attachments can suck away surface dust and debris from the cover.
- Consider occasional professional sanitizing services to kill germs and bacteria if someone is ill.
Avoid direct sunlight exposure which could fade colors or dry out natural latex layers. Flipping is rarely needed for all-foam or pillowtop beds without dual-sided firmness options.
The Best Soft Twin Mattress for You
We hope this exhaustive guide to understanding and shopping all factors around soft twin mattresses gives you confidence in finding your dream plush bed. By balancing thick comfort layers with adequate support cores, brands today engineer twins catering to all preferences and budgets.
Focus on reviewing foam densities, coil gauges, and innovative cooling features to identify beds matching your petite, average, or plus-size frame. Take advantage of generous trial windows to test out softness levels in your bedroom. Finding just the right sink, hug, and contour for your sleep style results in years of blissful rest.