A full Murphy bed is the perfect solution if you’re looking to save space in your home while still having a comfortable place for guests to sleep. This comprehensive guide will teach you everything you need to know, from dimensions and designs to costs and customization options.
What is a Full Murphy Bed?
A full Murphy bed is a foldable bed that can be stowed away vertically or horizontally when not in use. The key benefits of full Murphy beds include:
- Space Saving – Folding up out of the way frees up floor space for other uses during the day.
- Multifunctional – The room can double as a guest bedroom + office/gym/library.
- Stylish – Murphy beds now come in contemporary designs.
- Customizable – You can integrate other features like cabinets and shelves.
The main differences between queen and king Murphy beds are the mattress size and overall footprint:
- Full mattress – 54 inches wide by 75 inches long
- Queen mattress – 60 inches by 80 inches
- King mattress – 76 inches by 80 inches
So a full Murphy bed is the most compact option while still comfortably fitting most adults.
Full Murphy Bed Dimensions
When evaluating full Murphy beds, the first thing to look at is the mattress size and overall product dimensions:
- A standard full mattress measures 54 inches wide by 75 inches long
- When closed, the Murphy bed cabinet depth can range from about 12-18 inches
- The height varies, but consider your room’s ceiling height. Taller cabinets may limit overhead space when open.
- The width and depth when open depends on the bed frame but expect an additional few feet.
Having these Murphy bed dimensions in mind will help you find the right solution for your available space. Carefully measure the room you want to install it in to confirm sizing.
Here is a comparison table of measurements for a typical full-size murphy bed unit:
|Cabinet Closed Depth
|Cabinet Closed Height
Types of Full Murphy Beds
There are a few main configurations of full-size murphy beds:
Vertical Murphy Beds
Vertical Murphy beds fold down from a wall-mounted cabinet so the mattress lies horizontally. This style works well when you have space above and want to utilize the floor below when closed.
Horizontal Murphy Beds
Horizontal beds flip up vertically into a cabinet in the wall, keeping the floor below open. This orientation is best for low ceilings.
Wall Beds with Built-Ins
Wall beds with built-ins integrate other storage and functions within the cabinetry surrounding the bed such as:
- Cabinets or shelves
- Desks or tables
- Entertainment systems
So when closed, the Murphy bed conceals itself inside furniture installed against the wall. This maximizes the usage of the space.
Where to Install a Full Murphy Bed
Some popular rooms to install full-size Murphy beds include:
- Guest rooms – Murphy beds allow accommodating visitors while keeping the room multipurpose.
- Studios – Apartments and condos with limited square footage can house a bed without sacrificing the living area.
- Home offices – During the workday you have a desk. At night, it readily converts into a bedroom.
- Gyms or libraries – Likewise, a Murphy bed adds flexibility to spaces serving other primary functions.
- Garages, attics, basements – Murphy beds allow comfortably converting practically any room into a guest bedroom whenever needed.
Take measurements of the space you want to put the Murphy bed and think about how you plan to use the room. This will help narrow suitable styles and sizes.
Full Murphy Bed Design Styles
Murphy beds now come in a wide range of styles to match any room décor, including:
Contemporary Murphy Beds
Contemporary Murphy beds feature clean lines and come in styles like:
Often made of wood with a neutral finish. Glass or metal accents are possible.
Traditional Murphy Beds
Traditional Murphy beds offer classic details like:
- Crown molding
- Raised panels
- Arched tops
Materials like wood veneers and stone appear more ornate.
Rustic Murphy Beds
Rustic style Murphy beds incorporate elements like:
- Distressed wood
- Wrought iron hardware
- Natural stone
Warm, earthy look.
Industrial Murphy Beds
Industrial Murphy beds utilize materials such as:
- galvanized metal
- weathered wood
- exposed brick
Urban, factory sensibility.
Coastal Murphy Beds
Coastal Murphy beds feature aspects like:
- Slatted wood
- Seashell accents
- Beachy color palette
Casual, maritime flair.
Customize with Paint Colors and Hardware
Further personalize the look of your Murphy bed with:
- Paint or stain colors
- Knobs or pulls
- Trim work
- Textiles like pillows
Full Murphy Bed Mattresses
You’ll need to select a mattress designed to work with Murphy bed frame systems. Key factors include:
- Memory foam conforms closely to the folding mechanism
- Innerspring mattresses need rigid support to avoid damage
- Thin mattresses under 6 inches are too fragile
- The standard thickness is 8 to 10 inches
Made for Murphy Beds
- Mattresses built for folding preserve longevity
- Look for flexible materials and reinforced edges
Consider mattress requirements when shopping for a Murphy bed. Some units come with the mattress while for others you’ll need to purchase separately.
Installing and Closing a Full Murphy Bed
Installing a full Murphy bed takes careful planning but creates a safe, smooth operating system. Follow these tips:
- Assemble cabinetry
- Secure frames to wall studs
- Attach mattress
- Test mechanism
- Ensure installed properly before use
- Engage locking devices in open and closed positions
- Supervise children using the bed
- Lubricate moving parts
- Open/close slowly
- Adjust mechanisms if needed
Correct installation and operation prevents accidents and damage over years of use.
Full Murphy Bed Cost
Murphy bed pricing depends on:
- Materials like wood type
- Design Customization
- Add-ons like lighting or storage
- DIY vs pre-assembled
Here are typical price ranges:
- Basic DIY wall bed kits – $200 to $800
- Pre-made Murphy bed units – $1,500 to $3,500
- Custom built-in Murphy beds – $3,000 to $7,000
DIY kits provide a budget-friendly option you assemble yourself. Pre-made beds cost more but come ready to install out of the box. Custom built-ins offer fully tailored looks and functionality.
Top Places to Buy Full Murphy Beds Online
Reputable retailers offering quality full murphy beds include:
|Wide selection of styles and sizes. Free shipping over $35
|Known for well-made furniture and murphy beds
|Murphy Bed USA
|Specialized dealer with customization options
|Murphy Beds Inc.
|30+ years selling beds. Price match guarantee.
|Award-winning Italian designs
Narrow your selection by browsing photos, reading reviews, comparing prices, and checking production times.
Top-Rated DIY Full Murphy Bed Kits
Quality DIY kits make installing your own full murphy bed more feasible. Top options include:
- Bestar Wall Bed Kit – Steel frame with finish panels. 4.5 star average rating.
- Hydra Wall Bed Systems – Customizable kits made in the USA. Easy tool-free install.
- Easy Beds – Manual and automatic options. Designed for DIYers. 10-year warranty.
Follow included instructions carefully for smooth assembly. Basic carpentry skills are helpful.
Full Murphy Bed Pros and Cons
Murphy beds provide unique benefits along with some downsides to weigh:
- Save Floor Space – Folds up neatly out of the way
- Multifunctional Use – Repurposes room for different needs
- Convenient Guest Sleeping – Out-of-sight bed for visitors
- Contemporary Styling – Sleek, customized look
- Higher Price – More complex mechanism than typical beds
- Installation Challenges – Professional installation recommended
- Mattress Wear – Folding can breakdown certain mattresses prematurally if improper support
Overall, murphy beds create flexibility in spaces with limited square footage.
Full Murphy Bed FAQs
Some common questions about full murphy beds include:
How easy are they to open and close?
Smooth running tracks, slides, and springs enable easy opening and closing by one person in most cases. Helpful for kids or elderly.
How durable is the folding mechanism?
Quality steel and hardware components tested to allow frequent use for years. Lubricate joints periodically per instructions.
Can you customize features like finishes and storage?
Many murphy bed systems offer customizable cabinets, color options, accessories. Or build entirely custom to your needs.
What safety concerns should you watch for?
Ensure properly secured to studs in wall and hook locking devices when open/closed. Don’t let kids play on bed without supervision.
Do special mattresses need to be used?
Mattresses made specifically for folding beds will be most durable. Look for flexible foams and reinforced sides.
Research product specs when shopping to ensure the murphy bed and mattress together accommodate your plans and safety needs.
Conclusion of Full Murphy Bed
Full murphy beds provide versatile sleeping accommodations along with flexible room usage. Make sure to measure your available space carefully when selecting an appropriate size and design. Look for quality materials and smooth opening/closing functionality in the folding mechanism. Customize with built-ins, finishes, and accessories to perfectly integrate your murphy bed into the décor and purpose of the room.