When it comes to protecting your mattress, a full size mattress protector is an essential investment. A quality full size mattress protector can save you from having to replace an expensive mattress too soon while also improving comfort and hygiene. This comprehensive buying guide will walk you through everything you need to know before purchasing the best full size mattress protector for your bed.
Types of Full Size Mattress Protectors
There are four main types of full size mattress protectors to choose from:
Waterproof mattress protectors create an impenetrable barrier against fluids and spills. They are made of waterproof materials like vinyl or polyurethane laminate (PUL) layered over a fabric like cotton or polyester. Waterproof protectors prevent accidents, incontinence, perspiration, body oils and fluids from penetrating your mattress.
- Protects against fluids and spills
- Noiseless and breathable options available
- Budget friendly
- Some may retain heat
Waterproof & Allergy Proof
Waterproof and allergy-proof mattress protectors offer both fluid protection and defense against dust mites, mold, mildew, and other allergens. Many are treated with antimicrobials to inhibit bacteria and germs. Great for allergy sufferers.
- Waterproof and blocks allergens
- May have hypoallergenic fill like down alternative
- Added allergy protection
- Can retain heat
Cooling mattress protectors help regulate temperature so you don’t overheat while sleeping. Often made of advanced phase change materials, they absorb and dissipate heat. Many have moisture-wicking fabrics to limit sweat. Helpful for hot sleepers or women going through menopause.
- Keeps sleepers cool
- Moisture and heat dissipating
- Ideal if you run hot or sweat at night
- Phase change materials adjust to body temp
Organic cotton mattress protectors offer a natural, chemical-free barrier made from layers of thick, tightly woven organic cotton. Very breathable and absorbs moisture. Provides allergen and dust mite protection. Ideal for those sensitive to chemicals or want an eco-friendly option.
- Natural hypoallergenic materials
- Environmentally friendly
- Absorbs moisture to limit sweat
- Breathable and cooler than synthetic protectors
- Expensive compared to other types
Key Features of the Best Full Size Mattress Protectors
There are several key features to evaluate when selecting the optimal full size mattress protector for your bed. The best protectors check all the boxes below:
Pay attention to the level of waterproofing offered. Protectors may be water resistant, water repellant, or fully waterproof based on bonding technology. Fully waterproof options provide the greatest liquid protection for accident-prone sleepers.
Some protectors make noise when you move around as materials crinkle. Choose plastic-free “noiseless” mattress protectors for uninterrupted rest. Breathable cotton terry or microfiber surfaces tend to be the quietest.
Since protectors safeguard your mattress from spills and fluids, you want the convenience of removing and washing soiled bedding. Machine washable mattress protectors make cleanup easy. Confirm washing instructions before purchasing.
Higher quality protectors come with 10-15-year limited warranties against defects in materials and workmanship. Compare warranty periods to assess expected durability and lifespan.
If you suffer from allergies, choose options marketed as “hypoallergenic“ which have enhanced protection against household allergens like pet dander, mold, dust mites, and pollen which can collect in bedding.
Breathability & Cooling
Well-ventilated, breathable materials like cotton, bamboo, or certain moisture-wicking synthetics allow airflow so you don’t overheat while sleeping. Key for hot sleepers. Cooling gels or phase-change minerals pull heat away from the body for temperature regulation.
Organic protectors give those sensitive to chemicals an alternative free from pesticides, toxins, or dyes. Organic cotton and wool offer natural allergen defense. Added durability but more expensive than synthetic versions.
Common Full Mattress Protector Materials
Full size mattress protectors today are constructed using the following modern materials:
- Polyurethane (PUL) – Waterproof yet breathable laminate often bonded to fabric. Provides reliable fluid protection.
- Cotton terry – Absorbent, woven cotton known for being noiseless. Naturally hypoallergenic.
- Bamboo viscose – Breathable, thermal regulating fabric made from bamboo pulp. Very soft but can pill easily.
- Microfiber – Lightweight synthetic made from finely woven fibers. Easy to clean and more affordable.
- Polyester and polyamide – Mixed synthetics that resist shrinking and pilling. Budget option but can sleep hot.
Benefits of Using a Full Size Mattress Protector
Investing in the best quality full size mattress protector has numerous advantages:
- Protect against spills, fluids, and accidents from kids, pets, incontinence, drinks, and intimacy. Waterproof layers keep mattresses stain-free.
- Preserve mattress warranty validity since stains and soiling can void any warranties. Mattress protectors keep beds in pristine condition.
- Extend overall mattress lifespan by guarding surfaces from spills, body oils, and dead skin cell accumulation over time which can discolor and degrade unprotected beds.
- Improve hygiene through barriers that block microbes, allergens, and pests from taking refuge inside mattresses. Easy to remove, wash, and replace soiled protectors.
- Provide relief for allergy sufferers thanks to materials treated with antimicrobials to suppress germs and allergens.
What to Look for When Choosing a Full Size Mattress Protector
Keep the following factors in mind while evaluating the optimal full size mattress protector for your specific needs:
Correct Size for Your Full Mattress
Confirm your full size mattress dimensions to get an accurately fitted protector without loose corners or bunching. Measure mattress height with any toppers to get the right depth. The full size is 54” wide x 75” long.
Noise Level When Moving
Choose noiseless, whisper-quiet protectors for uninterrupted sleep. Breathable cotton terry surface protectors minimize disruptive crinkling noises so you don’t disturb your sleeping partner when tossing and turning at night.
Desired Waterproof Rating
Assess your needs – water resistant, water repellent, or fully waterproof? Those prone to accidents and incontinence require fully waterproof protectors with maximum fluid-blocking technology.
Compare warranties before buying as 10-15 years reflects better long-term durability and materials. Confirms manufacturer faith in construction quality and lifespan.
Brand Reputation & Reviews
Read feedback on multiple sites to confirm consistently high ratings for fit, effectiveness, comfort, and overall customer satisfaction with a particular full size mattress protector brand and specific models.
Additional Tips for Buying a Full Size Mattress Protector
Keep these extra pointers in mind while shopping:
- Read customer reviews across retail sites to gather real-world feedback on factors like fit, noise, effectiveness, and durability of different full size mattress protector models. Identify any cons or flaws.
- Compare prices between mattress protector retailers to find the best deals. Sign up for brand emails to receive special discount offers and sales notices. Consider buying two protectors at once if pricing permits to have a handy spare.
- Consider bundling deals that offer a discount when you purchase multiple protectors and pillow protectors together. A convenient way to outfit your whole bed.
- Choose breathable, moisture-wicking materials if you or your partner struggle with getting too hot while sleeping. Added air circulation from cotton terry or TENCEL lyocell is ideal for those who run warm or sweat.
- Avoid thick, lofty protectors if using an electric blanket or mattress topper so wires or connections don’t get damaged. Look for ultra-thin designs in that case.
Investing in a high-quality full size mattress protector tailored to your exact sleep needs and bedroom setup is a smart decision to safeguard your mattress from premature wear, stains, and damage while also making your bed healthier. Use this comprehensive buying guide covering types of protectors, key features to compare, common materials used today, and insider shopping tips to select the best full size mattress protector to take your bed to the next level.